March 19, 2009
Summer's coming and it's time to get our bodies looking and feeling healthy! Here at Beauty of a Site, we drink lots of water and feel that it's the best way to complement your daily skincare and fitness routine! Now we all know that water helps rehydrate and restore our bodies, but here's a few things we didn't know:
- A healthy person can drink up to 3 gallons (that's 48 8oz. glasses) of water per day! But consuming large amounts of water in a short amount of time (especially during strenuous exercise) can lead to water intoxication. We recommend sticking to the old adage of eight, 8oz. glasses per day.
- Water boosts energy, aids in stabilizing and increasing your metabolism, and can definitely help with mid-day fatigue. Grab a glass in the afternoon, just before you usually hit your energy down-slope, and feel the difference!
- Water is what makes your favorite moisturizer work wonders! Water is the most vital element when it comes to skincare. Without it, the skin rejuvenation process would cease, cellular formation would significantly slow, and your figure would begin to look like a dried up Swamp Thing! Topical moisturizing is still recommended (we like Dermelect Cosmeceuticals Rapid Repair Facial Moisturizer), but coupling it with a tall glass of healthy H2O will guarantee its effectiveness.
- Tap water is just as good as bottled water! Bottled water is purified tap water, nothing more, nothing less. According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, “An estimated 75 percent or more of bottled water is really just tap water in a bottle—sometimes further treated, sometimes not.” With this kind of research, Beauty of a Site recommends sticking to the tap and finding a cute, reusable water bottle to compliment your lifestyle. We recommend the eco-chic Principessa Aluminum Water Bottle - it beats anything plastic and proceeds from its sales are donated to breast cancer research (awesome karmic bonus!).
- Water is the only substance on earth that transcends all three states of physical matter - gas, liquid, and solid. That's mind blowing....but wait, the human brain is two-thirds water! 'Nough said!
February 21, 2009
Vitamin C possesses definite, scientifically validated virtues that really do prevent and reduce wrinkles as well as rejuvenate skin, but what products really work? Why do some products with Vitamin C not work as effectively as others. Well, here are some interesting facts that may help you choose your next skin care product:
- Vitamin C is an indispensable component of collagen synthesis – the most important structural element in skin that aids in wrinkle prevention and elasticity.
- Vitamin C is an all natural antioxidant that helps skin protect itself against free radicals.
- Vitamin C is easily oxidized because of its instability. This means that products containing Vitamin C should be tightly sealed to ensure its potency.
- You can evaluate the oxidation of your Vitamin C containing skin care products by checking for yellowing of the product.