Fine, thin and thinning hair can be difficult to style. To help boost the natural volume, fullness and beauty of your hair, try these tips:
1. Gently shampoo your hair, and give yourself a light scalp massage each time you shampoo for about 30 seconds.
- Massaging will help promote scalp circulation and improve the overall health of your hair.
- Apply a light conditioner to the ends of your hair after showering. Too much conditioner can weigh down hair and make it look greasy.
- Pay attention to the ingredients: botanical or natural styling aides may be better for the overall health and life of your hair.
- When styling your hair for body, Add a small amount of product (about the size of a small egg) into the palm of your hand, rub your hands together, gently squeeze and scrunch the product into the hair.
- Especially developed to build body and thickness where hair needs it most-the roots. Choose a weightless, humidity-resistant formula.
1. When blow drying, towel dry your hair a little first, and don't use highest heat setting. Try a Hot Air Brush Iron to create tons of volume while drying your hair.
2. Use a natural, round brush for more volume.
We Love: Spornette Use 955L for long hair, 855 medium-long, 856 short hair
3. If you wear a ponytail, try not to pull it back too tight; and avoid using rubber bands, which tend to break the hair.
We Love: Blax Hair Elastics
4. Back comb your hair for volume: comb up and back from the front of your head towards the crown to lift the hair and create the illusion of fullness.
There are a host of products on the market that aim to help your fine, thin or thinning hair look fuller and thicker. When buying styling aides look for:
1. Shampoos with "dimethicone" and "dimethicone copolyol", which are silicone derivatives that can build hair volume.
2. Styling products with herbs such as jasmine, angelica, willow or mint balm.
We Love: Tigi Catwalk Root Boost
3. Volumizers which plump up the hair cuticle for fuller-looking hair. Look for products with keratin or collagen.
4. Hairspray formulated to protect your hair from becoming dry and brittle yet producing volume and texture. We recommend a humidity-resistant formula.
1. Try an above-the-shoulder, layered cut to add fullness and body, or a short blunt cut, depending on your face shape.
2. Color your hair a shade lighter than usual to reduce contrast, or try highlights to make hair look full.
3. Play with your part! if you always parted it on the right, try the left, or even a slant or squiggle.
4. Curl your hair to make it look fuller.
5. Hair color is a great tool to help make fine hair look thicker and fuller.
6. When your hair is colored, your hair cuticles plump up, creating a thicker look and feel.
7. Lightening your hair color can help camouflage a fair scalp. Highlights give the appearance of greater volume.
8. Perms give hair more body and increase perceived volume. They can immediately help fine and thin hair look fuller and thicker.